Friday, November 13, 2009

It's not your fault

Who are you
touching me in a room you didn’t bother to clean because
you didn’t know I was coming.

You call me beautiful and
kiss my oily face,
get your fingernails caught in hair
I didn’t bother to clean
because
I didn’t know I was coming.

You tell me I’m beautiful in the morning,
that you never realized what I looked like in
muted sunlight.

My eyes are crystal-
BIG and RED
like
full of tears.

Who are you
telling me I’m beautiful when
I’m wearing clothes that don’t fit right-
a t-shirt from some place I’ve never been.

Screen prints of
creatures with crystal eyes and big teeth
howl at a moon no one can see.

Who are you who kisses me-
before I’ve brushed the plaque off my teeth.

I don’t usually look like this-
not on mornings when I wake up in my own bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment